Summer 2015 Blogs

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Train Up A Child

I was not aware of the issue in education until I actually begin working in the environment. That is when I opened my eyes. I got hired to work at a summer camp on  May 26, 2015 but I did not know what I was in for. Going through training was different, because I did not have my students in my classroom. Everything went smooth and it was good bonding time with the staff I was working with.

First day of camp started June 1, 2015 and I was assigned to an elementary class. I begin to evaluate the environment and the kind of people my students hung around which had a huge impact on how they learned. I work in the inner city at The Boys and Girls Club, so my job is a little more extreme than other jobs but I absolutely love it!

https://localwiki.org/alamance/Boys_and_Girls_Club_of_Alamance_County

I noticed that they  changed the summer camp into summer school so it is a requirement for the students to learn math, reading, science, and English which they hated. Yes it is true, the children in todays generation hate to learn. So what can be done different? When the class had a reading assignment, I saw a lot of kids in the class not able to focus on the book and wanted to joke around. The easiest thing would be to write them up but I did not want to. I wanted them to get the learning experience so I walked around the class and had different individuals read one page to me. By the time they were finished they were able to read alone. Sometimes kids do not need strict discipline, they need direction.

Two things camps need to apply are activity skills and life skills. Camps are made to prepare students for the next grade they are about to enter. Pay attention to what the students need to gain and what areas they need to work on. When they enter the next grade level, they will be so thankful for the things they learned in summer camp.

http://www.acacamps.org/campmag/issues/0905/power-of-camp


Open your eyes.

6 comments:

  1. Good job trying to do something different and be encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A voice and effort can make the change!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure the kids enjoyed one on one time with you and hopefully enjoyed the learning opportunity. Good job being a good example/model for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope they leave summer school inspired to keep going if nothing else!

      Delete
  3. I work around children also for summer school, and I have to say it is hard to get every child on the same page. You have to realize that not every child was raised with the same parenting standards as most are. So you have to kind of study a child to see what they are best at or into, and help guide them to positive interaction when it comes to learning. You did a great job not immediately giving them a write the minute they act up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, once you study a child you get to figure out what kind of relationship to build with them to make them better and see where you can help!

      Delete